Scholarship Essay Contest Topic & Rules—
The Al Sharpton Show – The Keeping It Real – College Stimulus Plan
No purchase necessary. A purchase will not increase a participant’s chances of winning.
The “Keeping It Real with Reverend Al Sharpton – College Stimulus Plan” Contest (“Contest”) will begin on Monday, June 21, 2010 and end on Sunday, July 4, 2010 (“Contest Period”) unless otherwise terminated earlier or extended at the sole discretion of Sponsor (as defined below). Three (3) high school seniors entering college for the 2010 Fall semester who are residents in the Columbia, South Carolina area will each be awarded a scholarship for Five Hundred Dollars ($500); and three (3) high school seniors entering college for the 2010 Fall semester who are residents in the Atlanta, Georgia area will each be awarded a scholarship for Five Hundred Dollars ($500).
HOW TO ENTER:
Listeners of Keeping It Real with Reverend Al Sharpton (the “Show”) on affiliate stations including: WALK-AM and WGCV-AM (the “Participating Stations”) who are legal residents of the U.S., and are high school seniors, or recent high school graduates (Spring semester 2010), that will be entering college for the Fall 2010 semester, will be able to take part in this Contest. To participate in the Contest, listeners must do the following:
- Listen to the Show weekdays (Monday through Friday) beginning June 21, 2010 anytime after 12:00 noon Central Time for information regarding the Contest.
- The Show will encourage eligible listeners to participate in the Contest by electronically uploading an essay, along with the completed online application form at www.nationalactionnetwork.net. All application forms must include an electronic participant signature, as well as Parental Consent if the applicant is under the age of majority in their state. All Applications must be submitted online by 11:59pm Central Time on July 4, 2010 or they will be void. Entries must be submitted ONLINE ONLY.
- ESSAY REQUIREMENTS
- A 250 word essay that answers the question “Why is it important for me to go to college?” Essays must not exceed 250 words in length. Do Not use bold or underlined text, charts, tables, or graphics.
- Entries must be in English.
- Essays must not be patently offensive, illegal, obscene, or derogatory of any individual, ethnic, racial, political, or age group, or similarly inappropriate in Sponsor’s sole discretion.
- Essays must be doubled spaced and no smaller than 11pt font.
- Each page must be numbered.
- References should be cited as endnotes and do not count towards the 250 word limit.
- Do Not put your name on the essay or on the filename. Your name should only be on the online registration form.
- Essays must be unpublished and not have been submitted in other competitions
- Submissions may not infringe upon any rights of any third party including without limitation, copyright, trademark and right of publicity or privacy
- Documents should be submitted in PDF format only. Documents must be formatted and end noted before submitting online. Once you submit your essay, you will not be able to edit or change your submission
4. Essays submitted for consideration must be original work and must be prepared by one author only
5. Only One submission per person.
6. Completed applications must include:
- Full Name
- Home Street Address
- City, State, Zip Code
- Home Phone (with area code)
- Cell Phone Number
- Email Address
- Birth date
- Parent/Guardian Name
- Parent/Guardian Contact Number (with area code)
- College / University attending in the Fall of 2010
- Anticipated Major
** Failure to follow any of these rules may lead to disqualification from the Contest. **
7. The winners will be selected on Monday, August 2, 2010.
1. The Contest will be conducted in real time on the Participating Stations broadcasting the Show and is open to listeners of the Show who are legal residents of the U.S., and are high school seniors, or recent high school graduates (Spring semester 2010), that will be entering college for the Fall 2010 semester.
2. Employees of the Show, the Participating Stations, Syndication One, Radio One, Inc., REACH Media Inc, National Action Network (collectively, “Sponsor”), and each of their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliated companies, promotion partners, sponsors and advertising and promotional agencies (together with Sponsor, collectively, “Contest Entities”) and their immediate family members (spouse, parent, child, sibling and their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside) and those living in their same households (whether or not related) are NOT eligible to participate or win in this contest.
3. Once an individual wins a prize in this Contest, they are not eligible to win another prize in this Contest except as specified within these rules.
4. Persons who have won a prize in another contest or promotion of any kind from the Show within the thirty-day (30) period immediately preceding the start date of this Contest are not eligible to participate.
5. The Sponsor at its sole discretion will choose whether or not to air the winning notification call or publish the name of the Winner. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any computer, telephone, cable, network, electronic or internet hardware or software malfunctions, failures, connections, availability, traffic congestion, unauthorized human intervention, or any error or malfunction.
6. REVIEW AND EVALUATION:
Winners will be required to complete and sign, or if he/she is a minor, have his/her parent or legal guardian sign, an Affidavit of Eligibility, Waiver of Liability, Publicity Release (“Contest Documents”) and return these forms to National Action Network, Inc., 106 West 145th Street, New York, N.Y. 10039; attn: Best Essay 2010 within seven (7) days of being notified that he or she has won. Upon receipt by National Action Network, Inc., of the completed and signed Contest Documents, the finalists will be deemed the winners under these Contest Rules.
1. Prizes to be awarded as follows:
· Three (3) residents of the Columbia, SC area will each be awarded a scholarship in the amount of Five Hundred Dollars ($500); and
· Three (3) residents of the Atlanta, GA area will each be awarded a scholarship in the amount of Five Hundred Dollars ($500).
A total of $3000.00 will be awarded. All scholarships will be awarded in the form of an Official Bank Check. Odds of winning are based on total number of eligible entries received, reviewed and evaluated.
2. In addition to the monetary prizes, the winning essays will be posted on www.nationalactionnetwork.net; and announced on “Keepin’ it Real with Rev. Al Sharpton” as transmitted by Syndication One. Winners’ names will also be posted on the National Action Network Website once the Affidavits of Eligibility and other required documents have been received & verified by the National Action Network, Inc and Syndication One.
3. No substitution of prize is offered, no transfer of prize to a third party is permitted and non-cash prizes may not be redeemed for cash value, except as determined by station management and/or the sponsor in its sole discretion.
4. All contest winners must sign and date official station release and waiver forms as requested. Failure to do so will result in winner forfeiting the prize.
5. If for any reason a contest winner provides notice that he or she has decided not to accept an awarded prize, the winner will be required to sign a release form acknowledging that they are forfeiting the prize. It will be at the discretion of the contest sponsor and / or contest administrator if another contestant is to be selected as the winner if time permits.
6. Grand Prize Winners must provide valid identification (i.e. via driver’s license, passport or other photo I.D.) to claim their prize.
7. Sponsor and its affiliates, agents and subsidiaries will have no responsibility or liability for damages, losses or injury of any kind resulting from in connection with acceptance, possession, or use of any prize.
1. During the Contest Period, eligible listeners will be encouraged to participate in the Contest by listening to the Keeping It Real with Reverend Al Sharpton Show weekdays (Monday through Friday), beginning June 21, 2010 anytime after 12:00 noon Central Time for information regarding the Contest.
2. Contestants must register via the website at www.nationalactionnetwork.net, and submit an essay of 250 words or less answering the question: “Why is it important for me to go to college?”
3. Entrants will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of submission. Receipt of confirmation email does not exempt submission from compliance with all rules of the contest. All entries must be received by 11:59pm Central Time on July 4, 2010 or they will be void.
4. The grand prize selection will take place on August 2, 2010.
5. Winners will be notified at least four (4) to six (6) weeks after the contest deadline.
6. All eligible contest essay submissions received by the deadline will be reviewed and judged by a qualified panel of National Action Network Staff; members; and professionals with experience in educational policy and practice; whose decisions as to the Contest winners are final.
7. The winners will be notified by a representative of The National Action Networks and/or Syndication One via phone.
8. Decisions of the Sponsor with respect to any aspect of the Contest are final.
1. Winners are responsible for all applicable taxes associated with the receipt of the prize (prizes are not transferable and may not be exchanged).
2. Any person winning over $600.00 in prizes will receive an IRS form 1099 at the end of the calendar year for tax purposes and a copy of such form will be filed with the IRS as required by law.
3. No purchase necessary. Contest is void where prohibited. Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations.
4. By participating in this Contest, entrants: (a) agree to be bound by the CONTEST RULES and ESSAY REQUIREMENTS outlined above and by the decisions of National Action Network, Inc. and Syndication One, which are final in all matters relating to the Contest, and (b) acknowledge compliance with the CONTEST RULES AND ESSAY REQUIREMENTS outlined above. The National Action Network and Syndication One reserve the right to reject any entries that are not in compliance with these rules. Contest void where prohibited or restricted by law.
5. By entering the Contest, participants confirm that the essay submission is their own original creation. Once submitted, all entries become the property of the National Action Network, Inc., and will not be returned.
6. The National Action Network, Inc., reserves the right to contact faculty or administrators at any entrant’s school to confirm enrollment and eligibility. In the event that enrollment cannot be confirmed, the entrant may be disqualified from the Contest.
7. Odds of winning depend upon the number of eligible contestants participating during the Contest Period.
8. By participating in the Contest, the winner or winners agree to have their name, voice, or likeness used in any advertising or broadcasting material relating to this Contest, in any media now known or hereafter devised for advertising or promotional purposes without additional compensation, and must sign a publicity release prior to acceptance of the prize. By entering this Contest, each participant agrees to comply with the Official Rules and the decisions of the Contest sponsor which shall be final and binding in all aspects relating to the Contest.
9. All contest winners will be required to sign a liability release prior to acceptance of any prize. Pursuant to the liability release, the winner or winners will agree to hold Sponsor, any other contest parties and each of their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, agencies, officers, shareholders, directors, employees, agents and representatives of each of the foregoing, harmless against any and all claims or liability, directly or indirectly related to or arising from or in connection with contest participation or the acceptance, possession or use / misuse of awarded prize or any portion thereof, or participation in prize-related activities, including but not limited to any related travel.
10. Winners must provide valid identification (i.e. via driver’s license, passport or other photo I.D.) to claim their prize.
11. The Participating Stations retain the right to disqualify any contestant if all Contest rules are not followed. Contest void if prohibited by law.
12. So long as no participant is materially adversely affected, Sponsor reserves the right to make changes in the rules of the Contest in its sole discretion at any time, for any reason without notice, which will become effective upon being announced on the air and / or posted online. In the event any Winner is found to be in violation of these Official Rules or is otherwise determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion to be ineligible, he/she will be required to forfeit prize or to reimburse the Sponsor for the stated value of a prize if such a violation is found after the prize has been used by Winner.
13. Sponsor, any other contest parties and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates or their representatives, agents and employees are not responsible for the inability of any contestant to complete or continue a telephone call, facsimile transmission or internet registration due to equipment malfunction, busy lines, inadvertent disconnections, unavailable network, server, Internet Service Provider (ISP), communication failures or human error that may occur in the transmission, receipt or processing of entries. In addition, The Sponsor, any other contest parties and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates or their representatives, agents and employees are not responsible for lost, misdirected, mutilated, illegible or incomplete contest entries. Once submitted, entries become the property of the Sponsor and will not be returned.
14. By accepting the prize, the winner acknowledges that Sponsor has neither made, nor is in any manner responsible or liable for, any warranty, representation or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to the prize or to any portion thereof, including but not limited to its quality, mechanical condition or fitness for a particular purpose.
15. The Sponsor, its subsidiaries, affiliates, participating sponsors and promotional partners will not assume any responsibility for any changes in the execution of the contest, including; cancellation of the contest as a result of the occurrence of events not within the control of Sponsor, its subsidiaries, affiliates, participating sponsors, promotional partners and other radio stations, such as acts of God, strikes, terrorists acts or criminal acts of third parties.
16. Sponsor is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate entry information, whether caused by any of the equipment associated with or utilized in the Contest, and assume no responsibility for error omission, interruption, defect, failure, malfunction or delay in operation or transmission, or for any damage to participants phone, cell phone, mobile device, computer, hardware, software, or any other device, or for theft or destruction, tampering or unauthorized access to entry information, or for entries which are misdirected, inaccurate, incomplete or, inaudible, disconnected or any combination thereof) or for preemption or cancellation of the radio program, or for technical, network, typographical, human or other errors or problems relating to or in connection with the Contest, including, without limitation, errors or problems which may occur in the connection with the administration of the Contest, the announcement of prizes of in any Contest-related materials. If for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned by reason of tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which, in the sole opinion of Sponsor, corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest (or any portion thereof). Any attempt to defraud Sponsor in any way will result in de-qualification of participant, and such participant will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. IN NO EVENT WILL SPONSOR AND/OR CONTEST ENTITIES BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUR OF ANY ENTRANT’S PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST.
17. For a copy of these Official Rules, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to Syndication One at: “Keeping It Real with Reverend Al Sharpton – College Stimulus Plan Contest”, c/o Contest Rules, 13760 Noel Road, Suite 750, Dallas, TX 75240. For a winners list, send a self-addressed envelope to Sponsor at “Keeping It Real with Reverend Al Sharpton – College Stimulus Plan” c/o Winner’s List, 13760 Noel Road, Dallas, TX 75240.
Compliance with Law. The conduct of the Contest is governed by the applicable laws of the United States of America; which take precedence over any rule to the contrary herein. The conduct of the Contest is also governed by applicable State and local laws and any rules or requirements of State Attorney Generals.